Monday, July 11, 2011

God gives with one hand and takes with the other

As a kid, I never dreamed of a husband and a family. I dreamt of a rock star lifestyle. I was a frequent guest on the Mike Douglas show in my warped little t.v. mind, I was going to pedal my bicycle to Los Angeles to meet Henry Winkler. I left him for Keith Moon and we wrecked rooms together. I was 12.
By the time I was 14, I was harder. More influenced by Europeans like Edith Piaf, or the Sex Pistols, I dreamt of a life that was saturated and guided by art. Fine line drawings, absentmindedly dropped onto a coffee table, with a pack of Gitanes sitting on top, photography on the walls and a drink in my hand. I ate croissants and looked for the quirkiness in everything.
By the time I was 17, I was angry. I listened to the Clash and nothing else. And I was scared. I was waiting for the Russians to kill us all with a push of a finger.


That was many years ago. No kids and I'm a comedian. I've been on Howard Stern, I've wrecked rooms in many hotels, (though now I feel better if I don't make a mess for the maid to have to clean) My living room looks like  museum, my friends are quirky as fuck, I've french-kissed Pete Townshend and have a photography portfolio. I have no family.
But I have a husband. He's my family. He's taking care of me. He's angry too.  We play games. Like "who can despise more people?" But you need a lot of time to play that one.
So when you dream of something, remember-you will get it. Even if it's off one centimeter or a little warped, it's still what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment